How To Fix TCL Roku TV Remote Not Working: A Complete Guide For Non-Technical People
Your TCL Roku TV remote not working? It can throw a wrench into your entertainment experience, leaving you unable to navigate your favorite shows and apps.
The frustration of a non-functional remote can be exasperating, especially when you’re in the mood for some binge-watching or need to quickly adjust your TV settings.
Not to worry, though! In this comprehensive guide, our specialists at AirBeamTV will show you easy fixes for all of the common TCL Roku TV remote problems. From an overheating remote or buttons not working, all the way to a free TCL remote app, we’ll cover it all and get you back to watching your favorite content in no time!
Table of contents
- TCL TV Remote Not Working
- Fix For TCL TV Remote Not Working
- Frequently Asked Questions
TCL TV Remote Not Working
Before you’re able to fix your TCL Roku TV remote, you need to determine which kind of remote you have.
TCL Roku TV Remote Types
TCL Roku TV IR Remote
TCL Roku TV IR remote is a sleek and intuitive handheld device tailored for controlling TCL Roku TVs using infrared technology. Featuring an ergonomic button layout for seamless navigation, volume control, and instant access to streaming apps, it’s a must-have gadget. With the push of a button, you can immerse yourself in your favorite streaming content.
The remote uses Infrared signals to communicate with the TV and includes dedicated Roku-specific buttons for speedy launching of apps such as Netflix, Disney Plus or Prime Video. Whether you’re fine-tuning TV settings or enjoying your latest binge-watch, this remote, powered by easily replaceable batteries, adds a touch of convenience to your tech-savvy lifestyle.
TCL Roku TV Voice Remote
TCL Roku TV Voice Remote is a cutting-edge accessory designed to enhance your entertainment experience. With the power of voice commands, this sleek and intuitive remote allows you to control your TCL Roku TV effortlessly. Simply speak your desires, and the TV responds, whether you’re changing channels, adjusting volume, or launching your favorite streaming apps.
This remote uses advanced technology to recognize your voice, making it a seamless and convenient tool for navigating your TV. Whether you’re a tech enthusiast or simply crave a more hands-free entertainment experience, this voice remote is the perfect addition to your setup.
Learn more about Roku remote range form our Roku vs Firestick 2023 guide!
Fix For TCL TV Remote Not Working
Now that you understand the two different types of TCL Roku TV remotes, let’s talk about how you can easily fix each of them.
How to fix TCL Roku TV IR remote
1 | Check the batteries
The most common issue with a non-responsive remote is depleted batteries. Start by removing the remote’s battery cover, taking the batteries out and putting them in again. Make sure to insert them correctly, following the polarity markings (+ and -). If that doesn’t work, replace the batteries with fresh ones.
2 | Ensure there are no obstacles between remote and TV
Infrared (IR) remotes require a direct line of sight to the TV’s sensor. Ensure that there are no obstructions between the remote and the TV, and that you are aiming the remote directly at the TV’s front panel.
3 | Drain the power on your TCL TV
- Unplug your TV from the power socket.
- Press and hold the power button on your TCL Roku TV for 15-30 seconds.
- Plug the TV back into the power socket.
- Use your TCL Roku TV IR remote to turn the TV back on.
How to fix TCL Roku TV Voice Remote
Just like with the IR remote, you should start by checking the batteries, removing any obstacles and performing a power drain. However, TCL Roku TV Voice Remote connects via WiFi instead of IR. That means there are more ways you can try to fix it.
1 | Restart the remote and TCL Roku TV
- Remove batteries from your TCL Roku TV remote.
- Turn your TCL Roku TV using the power button on your TV.
- Next, turn the TV back on by using the button on the TV.
- Reinsert the batteries into your remote.
2 | Re-pair the remote
- Open the battery compartment and find the pairing button.
- Press and hold the pairing button for around 3 seconds, until the pairing light starts flashing.
- If the pairing light is not flashing, replace the batteries.
- Restart your TV.
- Wait for your remote to establish a connection with your TCL Roku TV. It should take around 30 seconds.
- You should see a pairing pop up window on your TV screen.
- After the remote and TV are paired, you will see the name of the remote and the battery status in the top-right corner of your TV screen.
My TCL Roku TV remote is very hot
If your TCL Roku TV remote is very hot to the touch after normal use, place it on a hard surface that won’t catch fire, such as metal or tiles. Don’t attempt to remove the batteries while the remote is hot. Let the remote cool and don’t use it in the meantime. If the issue persists, it’s best for you to get a new remote.
Frequently Asked Questions
Volume buttons not working on my TCL Roku TV remote
Here are some fixes you can try to fix volume buttons on your TCL Roku TV Remote:
Re-pair TCL Roku TV remote
try repairing your TCL Roku TV remote with your TV. Here’s what you need to do:
- Begin by accessing the battery compartment, then locate the pairing button.
- Press and hold the pairing button for approximately 3 seconds until the pairing indicator begins to flash.
- If the pairing indicator fails to flash, replace the batteries and repeat from point 1.
- Restart your television.
- Allow your remote a brief period, approximately 30 seconds, to establish a connection with your TCL Roku TV.
- Keep an eye out for a pairing notification on your TV screen.
- Once the remote and TV successfully pair, you’ll observe the remote’s name and battery status displayed in the top-right corner of your TV screen.
Clean volume buttons
Overtime, all devices gather gunk and dust. So do remotes! If the volume buttons on your TCL Roku TV remote are not working, they might have gathered enough dirt to prevent them from functioning correctly.
In this case, remove the batteries and carefully remove the dirt with a thin sharp object like a needle or a toothpick. Be careful not to damage the remote! You can also give the remote a wipe with a piece of cloth with some rubbing alcohol on it.
TCL Roku TV Remote no pairing button fix
Does your TCL Roku TV Remote have no pairing button? That means you have an IR remote. In this case, do the following:
- Open the battery compartment.
- Remove the batteries.
- Reinsert the batteries.
- If the issue persist, try a fresh set of batteries.
If you have a Voice Remote that has no pairing button that means it’s probably faulty. In that case contact TCL customer service to clear out any issues.
TCL Roku TV Remote Power Button Not Working
If the power button on your TCL Roku TV remote is not working, it can be quite inconvenient. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can take to address the issue:
- Check the Batteries: The most common reason for remote control issues is dead or low batteries. Replace the batteries in the remote control with fresh ones. Make sure you insert them correctly, observing the polarity (+ and – signs).
- Clean the Remote: Over time, dirt, dust, or spilled liquids can get inside the remote and interfere with its functionality. Gently clean the remote control, including the power button, with a soft, dry cloth. If necessary, you can use a cotton swab dampened with rubbing alcohol to clean the button’s surface.
- Try a Different Remote: If you have another remote control that is compatible with your TCL Roku TV (such as the Roku mobile app or a universal remote), try using it to see if the power button works. This will help determine if the issue is with the remote itself or the TV.
- Reset the Remote: Some remote controls can be reset to their default settings. Refer to your remote’s user manual for instructions on how to perform a factory reset. This may help if the remote’s settings have become corrupted.
- Re-pair the Remote: If your remote is not responding at all, it may have lost its pairing with the TV. Try re-pairing it.
- Update TV Software: Ensure that your TCL Roku TV has the latest firmware updates installed. Outdated software can sometimes cause remote control issues. You can check for updates in the TV’s settings menu.
- Contact TCL Support: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it’s possible that there may be a hardware problem that causes your TCL Roku TV remote not working. Contact TCL customer support for further assistance or to inquire about a replacement remote if your TV is still under warranty.